Cleary Gottlieb has promoted nine associates, eight counsel, and six senior attorneys, powerful January 1, 2023.
The promotions will carry the firm’s overall around the globe associates to 176, counsel to 60, and senior attorneys to 46.
“We’re thrilled to announce our new course of senior lawyers,” said Cleary Running Husband or wife Michael Gerstenzang. “These proficient lawyers replicate the breadth of substantive experience and geographic presence that our consumers look for, and have shown their motivation to our firm’s values and lifestyle. As new associates, counsel, and senior attorneys, they will go on our wealthy tradition of bringing with each other gifted men and women with varied backgrounds, activities, and perspectives to fix difficult complications for our shoppers all over the world.”
The new companions, counsel, and senior attorneys are resident in the firm’s Brussels, Cologne, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Milan, New York, Paris, Rome, and Washington, D.C. offices. Their observe spots involve antitrust, individual bankruptcy and restructuring, funds marketplaces, company governance, financial debt finance, economical establishments, litigation and arbitration, mergers and acquisitions, actual estate, tax, and white-collar defense and investigations.
Our new senior lawyers are:
- Laurie Achtouk-Spivak (Spouse, Paris/Litigation and Arbitration) ― Laurie’s practice focuses on international arbitration and litigation, with a specific emphasis on community worldwide law. She represents customers in commercial arbitrations as nicely as buyers and sovereigns in investment treaty arbitrations prior to ICSID, ICC, and other arbitration establishments, and often advises on investment structuring and sustainability issues. Her new function features matters for massive corporates and sovereigns, which includes the Hellenic Republic, the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, the Republic of Iraq, the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- Christopher Bachand-Parente (Senior Attorney, New York/Authentic Estate) ― Chris’ practice focuses on complicated serious estate transactions, which includes loan company and borrower facet funding transactions, joint ventures, acquisitions and gross sales, and restructurings throughout an array of asset varieties. He has advised purchasers such as Hospitality Investors Rely on, ESL Investments, Angelo Gordon, Genting Malaysia, Breaking Floor, Brookfield, Brooklyn Public Library, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase Bank, Banco Inbursa, and Argent Ventures.
- Matthew Bachrack (Counsel, Washington, D.C./Antitrust) ― Matthew’s exercise focuses on antitrust matters. His perform includes merger manage, criminal and civil investigations, and antitrust counseling, particularly with respect to the United States and the antitrust regimes in Asia. He also has extensive knowledge in U.S. civil antitrust litigation. His representations include things like issues for JUUL, Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile, Molson Coors, and Leroy Seafood.
- Paolo Bertoli (Counsel, Milan/Litigation and Arbitration) ― Paolo’s apply focuses on arbitration and litigation. He has acted in various intercontinental and domestic arbitrations involving elaborate industrial disputes as properly as community worldwide legislation problems, and in business, securities, and antitrust litigation in a wide range of Italian courts he has also acted as arbitrator underneath the Milan Chamber of Arbitration Regulations. He has a short while ago represented this sort of clientele as ArcelorMittal, BNP Paribas, Danieli, Dover Company, Enel Group, TIM, and Vale.
- Laura Birène (Counsel, Paris/Funds Marketplaces and Debt Finance) ― Laura’s observe focuses on corporate and fiscal matters, which include financing and cash sector transactions. She has suggested a variety of consumers, which include BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole, Crédit Lyonnais, J.P. Morgan, Latour Cash, Universal Audio Group, Vivendi, and Worldline.
- Fausto Caronna (Counsel, Rome/Antitrust) ― Fausto’s observe focuses on EU and Italian consumer and antitrust regulation. He advises consumers on unfair business practices, deceptive promoting, unfair contract phrases and small business-to-buyer agreements, as properly as on abuse of dominance, cartels, restrictive practices, and merger handle proceedings. His new function features issues for Assilea, Alba Leasing, Compass Banca, HP, Samsung, Santander Shopper Bank, Telecom Italia, and Unipol.
- Sophie de Beer(Companion, Paris/M&A) ― Sophie’s observe focuses on French and European merger and acquisition transactions, involving both equally shown and non-shown providers. She has in depth working experience on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and partnerships involving financial institutions, as well as on relevant banking and economical regulatory matters. She has represented a vary of purchasers, which includes Amundi, BNP Paribas, BPCE, Cerberus, Crédit Agricole, GlobalFoundries, Groupama, J.P. Morgan, My Money Financial institution, Natixis, and Veolia.
- Alessandro Gennarino (Senior Attorney, Milan/ Financial debt Finance) ― Alessandro’s apply focuses on worldwide funding and company issues, which includes leveraged finance transactions, debt restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, and non-public fairness transactions. He has a short while ago advised these purchasers as A2A, F2i, Goodyear, Sogefi, and Warburg Pincus.
- Helena Grannis (Companion, New York/Funds Markets and Corporate Governance) ― Helena’s exercise focuses on cash current market transactions and company advisory issues. She handles domestic financial transactions for U.S. and worldwide clientele, together with original general public choices and fairness and credit card debt offerings. She also advises providers on corporate governance issues, which include disclosures, ESG troubles, board composition and independence, proxy tips, and shareholder engagement and technique. Her current consumers have integrated Bed Bath & Outside of, Clorox, Honeywell, and TPG.
- Alexander Janghorbani (Counsel, New York/Litigation and Enforcement) ― Alex’s practice focuses on sophisticated securities challenges, litigation, and enforcement, informed by practically nine a long time at the SEC as an investigative staff members legal professional and a Senior Trial Counsel. His representations include things like issues for Petrobras, Garlinghouse, ING, and OPKO Health.
- Thomas S. Kessler (Associate, New York/Personal bankruptcy and Restructuring) ― Tom’s practice focuses on individual bankruptcy, restructuring, and other advanced civil litigation. He has represented a selection of purchasers, including debtors and lenders in individual bankruptcy proceedings, and functions in restructuring-relevant suits, contractual disputes, and securities litigation. His representations contain issues for LATAM Airlines, Samarco Mineração, Garuda Indonesia, Apollo Administration Holdings L.P., Novonor, BNP Paribas, Overseas Shipholding Group, Warburg Pincus, and Petrobras.
- Philipp Kirst (Senior Legal professional, Cologne/Antitrust) ― Philipp’s practice focuses on European and German opposition regulation, together with cartels, abuse of dominance, merger control, and all elements of opposition damages litigation. He has represented clientele just before the European Fee and the German Federal Cartel Place of work, as properly as European and German courts. His recent operate involves matters for BayWa, Beiersdorf, Broadcom, Google, Lundbeck, Nestlé, and Western Electronic.
- Wanjie Lin (Senior Attorney, Brussels/Antitrust) ― Wanjie’s practice focuses on level of competition legislation, Point out assist, and worldwide trade regulation. She has penned and spoken on the EU’s new Foreign Subsidies Regulation. Her latest do the job features matters for Adevinta, NVIDIA, Illumina, Temasek, IBM, and The Walt Disney Firm.
- Brian Morris (Counsel, New York/Fiscal Institutions) ― Brian’s follow focuses on U.S. securities, commodities, and derivatives regulation, like SEC and CFTC rules implementing the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Shopper Safety Act. He often advises banks, broker-sellers, exchanges, electronic trading platforms, clearinghouses, and company finish users on a range of transactional, enforcement, and financial regulatory matters. He has labored with, between many others, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, and Banco Santander.
- Susanna Parker (Lover, New York/Tax) ― Susanna’s observe focuses on tax issues, specially for private equity and hedge funds, joint venture arrangements, acquisitions and divestitures (the two domestic and intercontinental transactions), funding transactions, and private consumer and family office matters. Her operate consists of matters for Sixth Street, KKR, TPG, Brookfield, The Raine Team, Viking, and Coller Cash.
- Laura Prosperetti (Counsel, Rome/Money Establishments) ― Laura’s apply focuses on EU and Italian banking and economic law and regulation. She advises purchasers on a selection of regulatory and transactional matters, which include compliance issues joined to the implementation of EU monetary regulatory reforms, supervisory assessments, and mergers and acquisitions of controlled entities. Her recent representations consist of matters for Euronext, F2i Sgr, Groupama, HP, and Worldline.
- Chrishan Raja (Partner, London/Capital Marketplaces) ― Chrishan’s observe focuses on global money marketplaces, with a certain target on equity and personal debt transactions (such as bank regulatory funds), corporate governance, and ongoing reporting. Chrishan has expertise throughout a assortment of jurisdictions, which include the United Kingdom, Europe, and the Middle East. He has lately recommended on matters for ACG Acquisition Firm (a London-outlined SPAC), Barclays, Citigroup, J.P. Morgan, and UBS.
- Andres Saenz (Senior Legal professional, New York, White-Collar Defense and Investigations, Civil Litigation) ― Andres’ apply focuses on white-collar defense, regulatory enforcement, compliance applications, and sophisticated civil litigation, in specific with regard to cross-border issues. His representations consist of matters for Petrobras, Vale, and BNDES.
- Naomi Tarawali (Associate, London/Litigation and Arbitration) ― Naomi’s exercise focuses on intercontinental dispute resolution. She has represented fiscal institutions, companies, resources, and sovereigns in their most advanced and difficult disputes, involving litigation, arbitration, and mediation, and invariably ranging throughout many jurisdictions. She has suggested a variety of clients, together with Goldman Sachs, Mubadala, Natixis, and Vale.
- Sophie Troussard-Fauré (Senior Lawyer, Paris/Antitrust) ― Sophie’s apply focuses on EU and French competitiveness law, including merger management, cartel investigations, and relevant litigation issues. She has experience in a range of sectors, which includes aerospace, buyer merchandise, and production. Her modern representations contain issues for Airbus, Tech Data, Elsan, Ortec, Vivendi, and Whirlpool.
- Mirko von Bieberstein (Husband or wife, Frankfurt/M&A) ― Mirko’s practice focuses on domestic and cross-border M&A, joint ventures, and normal company legislation. He also advises on German overseas immediate investment decision critiques, representing clients from a selection of sectors ahead of the German authorities and providing similar strategic tips. His current work includes matters for Albany, Broadcom, DCC, Henkel, Merck, OpenText, and a important UAE sovereign prosperity fund.
- Carina Wallance (Counsel, New York/Individual bankruptcy and Restructuring) ― Carina’s follow largely focuses on cross-border restructurings in Latin America and other emerging markets, but also involves company, leveraged, distressed, and project financings. She has suggested on matters for LATAM Airlines, Garuda, Aeromexico, Grupo Posadas, and OEC.
- Miao Zhang (Companion, Hong Kong/Capital Markets) ― Miao’s practice focuses on equity cash market transactions, including IPOs on the Hong Kong Stock Trade, pre-IPO investments, and PIPE transactions involving Hong Kong-listed clientele. Her current representations contain matters for Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Temasek, H Globe Group, Hansoh Pharmaceutical, OneConnect, and Topsports.